Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Refreshing, tangy, sweet and no-fat all in one! I love this recipe; it's wonderful on plain baked or grilled chicken or fish, and perfect with cheese quesadillas. I'm guessing that it would be a different and delicious accompaniment to lamb, also. Plus, it keeps well; the lime juice helps the apple to remain fresh-looking.
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 tablespoons minced red onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapenos or 1 teaspoon serrano pepper
- 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
- In a bowl, combine apple, bell pepper and onion. In a separate small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, mint, jalapeno or serrano pepper, and salt. Add to apple mixture and toss to combine thoroughly. Refrigerate a bit before serving; this is best nice and chilled.
Made a double recipe of this for a weekend with friends and it was a huge hit. We ate it with a variety of crackers and chips, but the biggest hit was as a topping for grilled quesadillas made with sharp cheddar. It was made the day before the trip and held up beautifully throughout. Wonderfully fresh, crisp, juicy flavors with a touch of heat...gorgeous! Thanks, Angie!