Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
For individual tarts, use 6 mini graham cracker crusts with pie filling, top with meringue and bake 8-10 minutes.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a 15 oz pkg)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- Preheat oven to 450*. Fit pie crust firmly into bottom and up side of a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Bake until light golden, 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350*.
- Combine water, 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan; mix well. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes clear, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until frothy. Add remaining sugar gradually to egg whites; beating until soft peaks form and being careful not to let egg whites become dry, 2-3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; gradually add cornstarch mixture, one spoonful at a time. Increase speed to high; beat until meringue is smooth and satiny, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon apple pie filling into baked crust. Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe meringue on top of pie filling. Bake until meringue is golden, 12-15 minutes. Cool tart completely on a wire rack. Loosen crust from side of pan; remove side. Cut into wedges to serve.