Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
--Adopted Recipe-- I have edited the directions to make them clearer.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 cups apples, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar (10X)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grate apples and spread evenly in bottom of pie shell.
- In separate bowl, cream sugar and butter, then blend in lemon juice and beaten egg yolks and pour over apple.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and bake in 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed, then gradually add sugar and vanilla and beat until meringue is stiff.
- Spread over top of pie and return to oven; reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer,until meringue is lightly browned.