Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From NYTimes.com. Originally published with FOOD; Meeting the Challenge of a Dessert for the Passover Meal By FLORENCE FABRICANT, April 8, 1990
- 10 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place the apples in a saucepan with water to cover, add the cup of sugar, bring to a simmer and cook until the apples are tender, about 25 minutes. This step may be done in advance but the apples should be reheated before continuing with the recipe.
- Drain the apples and place them in a round baking dish, mounding them into a pyramid.
- Beat the egg whites until they begin to peak, then gradually beat in the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the lemon peel. Continue beating until the egg whites hold firm peaks but are not dry.
- Cover the apples with the meringue, place in the oven and bake 15 minutes, until the meringue begins to brown. Serve at once. YIELD 6 servings.