Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lot like apple pie without the crust, this old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe is perfect for gluten-free diets. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 (20 ounce) can apples, slices (or use your own recipe for stewed apples)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, sugar, butter, spices and lemon juice; mix well.
- Beat the yolks of eggs and add to apple mixture.
- Beat whites until light and stiff; add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Pour apple mixture into a buttered baking dish.
- Top with meringue.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.