Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is excellent--it has a hint of apple pie taste built right in. It is really good.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of finely chopped peeled and cored apples
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- Sauté the onions in butter until soft.
- In large bowl, combine the onion, beef, bread, crumbs, apples, eggs, parsley, pepper, and ketchup.
- Form into a loaf and place in a 10x14-inch baking pan or pack into a large greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
VERY good meat loaf. It does not taste at all like apple, but who cares, it's great anyway. Next time I will cut the apple into 1/4 inch cubes maybe it will have more apple taste and give it a little crunch. I put canned french fried onions on top. and made it with 1.5 lb ground turkey. Which filled a 4 1/2 X 8 glass loaf pan