Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great Kugel recipe from epicurious.com.
- 4 large apples, Granny Smith or 4 large any tart apples, cored and cut into medium dice
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 6 plain matzos
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup dried apricot, medium, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, for casserole topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the apples with the brown sugar and orange juice and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Break the matzo into 2-3 inch pieces and soak in 1 cup of warm water until soft, but not mushy. Set aside.
- While the matzo soaks, in a large bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk until blended. Add the salt, sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, raisins and apricots.
- Squeeze the liquid from the softened matzoh and add the matzoh to the egg mixture with the apples. Stir the kugel well and pour into a lightly greased 2 ½ quart casserole dish or a 10X14 inch pan. Dot the top of the kugel with the 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake the kugel for 1 hour. Cover the top with foil if the top begins to become too brown early in the baking. Remove the kugel from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Note: The kugel can be made 2 days ahead, cooled and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature and reheat in a 350 degree oven.