Recipe by Mirj
This is one of our favorite Rosh Hashana dishes, I make it every fall and for our family it completely symbolizes autumn. You can bake the chicken as per the recipe, or you can also grill it over coals, it gives it a really special flavor.
Top Review by Funkymunky613
As per the poster's suggestion, I serve it every Rosh Hashana now. It takes a bit more time than I'd like (I'm a Shake and Bake sort) but it is worth every bit of effort. Bursts in flavor and has great presentation. I tend to do this in stages and reheat it.
For the chicken
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
For the apple rings
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick rings
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the chicken: Combine the apple juice concentrate, maple syrup, vinegar, oil, salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Put the chicken pieces in a large Ziploc bag with the above combined ingredients.
- Marinate this in the fridge for 4 hours, or even overnight, turning occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and put the pieces into a baking pan and roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Let it rest for a bit.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken is roasting, pour the marinade into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a small cup, stir together the cornstarch and water, and then stir it into the marinade.
- Boil for about 1 minute until it thickens.
- To make the apple rings: Stir together in a bowl the butter, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Add the apple rings and toss to coat.
- Broil the apple rings about 4-6 inches from the heat for about 3 minutes each side, or, cook in a pan for about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and the apples.