Recipe by Cynna
"Maple syrup adds a delicious twist to this apple pie." --BHG.com I found this recipe whilst browsing through their site and this sounded so delicious. I'll be trying this ASAP and I thought I would share it w/ everyone!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening or 2⁄3 cup lard
- 6 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups apples, sliced and peeled (6 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- sugar or maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in 2/3 cup shortening until pieces are peasize.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork.
- Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl.
- Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 dough ball.
- Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate being careful not to stretch pastry.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and the salt.
- Add the apples and gently toss until coated.
- In a small bowl, stir together maple syrup, whipping cream, and vanilla.
- Pour over apple mixture. Fold until combined.
- Transfer to the pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. (Or roll out second portion of pastry to form a top crust; cut slits.)
- Weave strips over filling for lattice crust. Press ends of strips into crust rim. Fold bottom pastry over strips; seal and crimp edge.
- Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sugar. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- If you like, place the pie on a baking sheet to catch drips.
- Bake the pie in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil. Bake the pie for about 30 minutes more or until the top is golden.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Note: To make pastry cutouts on top of pie, roll out pastry scraps about 1/8 inch thick and use small cutters to form leaf shapes. Moisten with water and place atop unbaked crust.