24 hrs 30 mins
A little sweet, a little spicy, this breakfast sausage makes great patties, breakfast sandwiches or wraps. This is easy to make, can be tailored to your personal taste, and will cost a fraction of what you will pay for at the grocery store for the same amount.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs lean pork (I buy whole loins)
- 1 lb pork fat (trimmings)
- 5 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, dried
- 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons sage, ground
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, ground
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, ground
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I use smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed, whole
- 1/3 cup white wine or 1/3 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Cut pork into 2 inch pieces and the fat into 1 inch cubes.
- 2Grind through a 1/4 inch grinding plate.
- 3You can use a food processor-pulse in SMALL batches.
- 4In a small mixing bowl combine the wine, maple syrup, lemon juice and salt/spices.
- 5Whisk well.
- 6In a large mixing bowl combine the meat and wine/spice mixture.
- 7Mix well to combine.
- 8Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- 9The longer the better.
- 10Package in 1 pound amounts and freeze.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Maple Breakfast Sausage-Homemade
Serving Size: 1 (2554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1410.4
- Calories from Fat 1007
- Total Fat 111.9 g
- Saturated Fat 52.4 g
- Cholesterol 313.3 mg
- Sodium 2755.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 78.6 g