Recipe by HokiesMom
I found this in an old church cookbook. The only change I made is instead of using a can of yams, I cook 6 yams and use those instead as I prefer fresh over canned yams.
- 2 tart apples, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans (or chopped almonds)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (24 ounce) can yams (or 6 pre-cooked yams)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or margarine)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Toss apples and nuts with the brown sugar mix.
- Alternate layers of apples and yams in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Dot with butter between each layer.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle top with marshmallows.
- Place back in oven on "broil" until marshmallows are lightly browned.