1/1 Photo of Apple Lover's Apple Cake
1 hr 10 mins
Modified from a Patricia Wells recipe in The Paris Cookbook called Gateau aux Pommes de la Reine des Pommes, this cake has tons of apple chunks barely bound together by a spelt and flax batter. After baking almost all the way through, a topping of coconut oil, raw sugar and beaten egg gets poured on for a gossamer-thin crisp element. I used camelina oil and Amoré Almonds + Dairy beverage for a delicious nutty element in the batter, and while the cake practically fell apart it was delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup hot apple tea (or water)
- 2/3 cup spelt flour or 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cup-for-cup stevia
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons camelina oil (I used Karlene s Veg-licious Camelina Oil)
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (I used Amore Almonds + Dairy)
- 5 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten well
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or butter)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- 2Whisk together the flaxseed and tea in a small dish. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3Whisk together the flour, stevia, baking powder, and sea salt.
- 4Add the vanilla, oil, and milk, followed by the flax mixture, stirring until well blended.
- 5Add the apples and stir to thoroughly coat them with the batter.
- 6Bake until fairly firm and golden, about 25 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, prepare the topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar, egg, and melted coconut oil. Set aside.
- 8Remove the cake from the oven and pour the topping mixture over it. Return the cake to the oven and bake 20 minutes longer.
- 9Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the sides and cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Lover's Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.5
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 147.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened almond milk