Recipe by FrenchBunny
Another recipe I got from a magazine of WD. Posted here to save it before it gets ruined on its paper. A delicious dessert especially when you pour a bit of the Vanilla-Rum sauce over it. Recipe is at bottom of directions for this
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 loaf challah (cut in 16 1/2 inch slices)
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, and
- cherries (mix of Golden raisins and dried cherries)
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350F Have a 13 x 9 shallow baking dish ready.
- Spread apple pie filling in baking dish. Layer bread in a single layer on top, overlapping slices shingle fashion.
- Whisk pudding mix and milk in a large bowl 2 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and Goldens and Cherries. Pour over bread, pressing bread down so it's completely saturated.
- Bake 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Vanilla Rum Sauce: Stir 1 Tbsp rum and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg into 1 cup melted vanilla ice cream.