Mrs Goodall's Note:
This awesome salad is a "No Cook", "Simple" and (if you have a food processor) "20 Minutes or Less" recipe. It's a shredded salad that is easily adapted to smaller or larger servings and would be great for a potluck or bbq. The dressing is lemony and tangy. Use whatever apples appeal to you, but I don't recommend Granny Smith. A bit tart is okay, but the dressing is tangy and a sweeter apple helps balance that. I used Pink Ladies. The salad did fine overnight in the refrigerator, I was happy to find that the apples did not discolor and stayed crunchy overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt (unflavored and unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (you can use lite sour cream but NOT non-fat)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed (pulp is fine)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 cups shredded apples, core the apples but leave the skins on (if you have a food processor with a shredding blade shredding takes hardly a minute)
- 1 cup shredded carrot, unpeeled is fine
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 3/4 cup basil, chiffonade (simply take leaves and roll them up all together and use knife to make thin slices)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1To make the dressing, whisk together yogurt and sour cream in a small mixing bowl.
- 2Add the rest of the dressing ingredients and whisk together well. (Just to clarify, total light brown sugar is 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon).
- 3Mix the shredded apple, carrot, and raisins together in a large mixing or salad bowl.
- 4Add the dressing to the salad and toss/stir well.
- 5At this point taste the salad. It should be pretty tangy. Toss the salad with 1/4 tsp table salt and this will cut the tanginess. If you wish to cut the tanginess any more, add salt by "the pinch" and taste. Be very careful not to add too much.
- 6I prefer to add the basil right before serving.
- 7Basil can vary in strength, so add 1/2 cup to the salad and mix. Taste and add remaining basil if necessary. The basil flavor becomes more prominent the longer the salad sits.
- 8You can serve right away, but I like to let the salad sit covered in the fridge to "mellow" for 1/2 hour to an hour.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Lemon Basil Salad
Serving Size: 1 (1179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.6 mg
- Sodium 135.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g