Due to a craving (and a convenient epicurious e-recipe e-mail!), I found this recipe, which is seemingly just in time for a Jewish holiday, no? I like apples, and I like latkes, so how could they be bad? :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 apples (tart or sweet)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy or 3 tablespoons dark rum or 3 tablespoons fruit liqueur
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 7/8 cup water
- vegetable oil, preferably sunflower (for frying)
- superfine sugar, for sprinkling on after serving
- 1Core and peel the apples and cut each into 4 thick slices.
- 2Place in a shallow dish with the sugar and brandy, rum, or liqueur, and turn them so that they are well coated.
- 3Marinate for at least one hour, so they can absorb the liqueur, liquor. Turn occasionally.
- 4For the batter, beat the yolks with the oil and salt, then stir in the flour and mix well.
- 5Beat in the water gradually and vigorously, mix until completely smooth.
- 6Leave for an hour, then fold into stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 7Heat at least 2 cm of oil in a large frying pan. Dip the apple slices in the batter — about 5 at a time — making sure that they are well covered with batter.
- 8Lift each one out carefully and lower into the hot oil.
- 9The oil must be sizzling but not too hot or the fritters will brown before the apple is soft inside.
- 10Fry in batches, and turn the slices over to brown both sides.
- 11Lift out with a slotted spatula and drain on paper towels before serving.
- 12Pass the superfine sugar for everyone to sprinkle on.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Latkes
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.2
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 619.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 6.7 g