Recipe by Burgundy Damsel
Found in Taste of Home. Looks very impressive!
Top Review by Mama_Jennie
My husband said he's died and gone to heaven with this bread! I am new to baking breads and this was AWESOME!! I halved the recipe and followed the instructions and now my husband thinks I'm a baking Goddess. Thank you for the great recipe!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 to 115 )
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (110 to 115 )
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour.
- Beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours; punch dough down.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.
- Roll each half into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place each on a greased baking sheet. Spread with butter.
- For filling, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in a large bowl;
- Add apples and toss to coat.
- Spread filling down center third of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 1-in. wide strips about 3 inches into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm loaves.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.