Recipe by Gammy#3
Apples-on-top coffee cake. Easy, from-scratch home cookin' - and a childhood memory from my grandmother's recipe file. Make it with your kids & enjoy the aroma of cinnamon while it bakes!
For the Cake
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml soft shortening (Crisco, etc.)
- 1 large egg
- 118.29 ml milk
- 354.88 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2-3 apples
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease and flour a cake pan: 7"x11" (you can substitute an 8" or 9" square cake pan if needed).
- Pare and core the apples and slice them thinly (about 1/4" to 1/2" thick). Mix the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- For the cake batter:.
- Cream the 3/4 cup of sugar, the shortening, and egg together until fluffy. Gradually add the milk.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together and stir into the first mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Arrange the apples on top of the batter in rows, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the apples.
- Bake @ 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.