Recipe by Mizzy
A delicious German apple cake made with a yeast dough. I usually make the dough at night, and let it rise in the fridge overnight to bake it the next morning.
for the dough
- 2 1⁄4-3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rise yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup milk, lukewarm
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
for the filling
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
for the icing
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 1/2 cups of the flour in a bowl with the salt, sugar, and yeast.
- Beat the eggs and add them, with the vanilla, lemon zest, and nutmeg, to the lukewarm milk.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, to make a medium-soft dough, being prepared to add more flour as necessary.
- Work in the soft butter and knead by hand for about 10 minutes.
- When the dough is ready it will appear smoother, and springier.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave till doubles (1 to 1 1/4 hours), or leave to rise in a cool place overnight.
- Punch down dough and press in a 9X13 inch pan, if the dough seems like it won't stretch to fit, let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Once the dough is pressed into the pan, let it rise for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel and core the apples and chop them finely.
- When the dough is ready, beat the egg with the cream, grate over a little nutmeg and brush the top of the dough with this mixture.
- Cover the egg glazed dough with the apples, then mix together the sugars and allspice and sprinkle over.
- Top with the almonds and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350°F and cook for another 15 minutes or so, until the dough is swelling and golden and the edges.
- Remove from the oven and make a runny icing, spoon and trickle it over the cake.
- Cool for about 15 minutes and serve warm.