Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional German dessert. I looked for a long time before I found the right recipe for it. The topping is what makes this so good !
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter to coarse crumbs.
- Press into bottom of 13x9 greased pan.
- Arrange apple slices over crust.
- Mix cinnamon with remaining sugar; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 400* for 15 minutes.
- Mix yolks and sour cream.
- Spread evenly over apples.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on top.
- Bake 30 minutes longer, until golden.
Very good, bake on high shelf in oven so the crust doesn't get to brown.
I made this for my boyfriend and it's really good! I was worried that the bottom crust would not be moist enough but it definitely is and he says its the best part. I think maybe I would have liked some sugar blended into the topping, but I don't know how sweet sour cream can get. Pretty easy to make too! Though high in fat, it's a good protein fix for my boyfriend's breakfast. Though his mom was eating it with whipped cream on top! Wow! Also, I cooked it on the second rack from the top and it turned out perfect without the crust overly browning at all and used a variety of types of apple. However, I would recommend greasing your pan very well, otherwise removal may be difficult. I bet this would be really pretty in a pyrex pan with the layers and all, but my only glass pan is way too big.
This was really good and pretty easy too! I used granny smith apples and cooked it on a higher shelf. My bottom crust was a little dry so I guess I didn't cut in the butter well enough. But it still tasted great!