Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my version of our State Dessert in South Dakota. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 slightly beaten egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, and sliced thin sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Make the crust:.
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt well in a large bowl.
- Add the vanilla and butter, a little at a time.
- Press into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan which has been greased and floured.
- Bake in the oven until slightly golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Make the Filling:.
- Place the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl and beat until creamy.
- Add the egg to the filling and mix until blended.
- Pour the filling over the cooled crust.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the sliced apples on top of the filling in two or three columns.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until firm and a rich brown, about 20 minutes.