Recipe by Chef Suz in Bekond
This recipe was given to me by my former mother-in-law. She was born and raised in northern Germany. The recipe is easy and quick. I can whip this up in about 20 minutes and have it baking for a quick dessert.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
Very nice basic recipe. Would be easier and faster to cream the butter and sugar first then add the egg and water rather than dump the ingredients in the bowl in the order listed then realise that LOL. The dough was too sticky to roll out so I just carefully spread it into the dish which was just as easy. Taste was excellent. In my small convection oven, baking time was 23 minutes.
MIX AND MAKE A HOLE
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
ADD TO DRY INGREDIENTS
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons water (1/2 egg shell)
- 4 large apples (peel and slice)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first two ingredients and make a hole.
- Add next four ingredients and mix with hands until dough is smooth but not sticky.
- Take half of dough and roll on floured surface to the size of pan. I use a 27 centimeter round glass pan. You can also use a 9" x 11" pan.
- Place dough in pan.
- Spread apple slices evenly over surface.
- Cover apples with 1/2 cup of sugar and about 2 tablespoons of cinnamon.
- Cut butter into small pieces and place evenly over apple mixture.
- Roll out second half of dough and lay over the top of apples.
- Press sides together.
- Sprinkle top with sugar and bake at 350°.
- Serve as is or warm with ice cream on top.