Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
A twist on the traditional roast.
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil leaves
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 apple ring
- Cook onions in 1 tbsp butter or shortening in Dutch oven until tender-crisp; set aside.
- Brown roast in remaining butter or shortening in Dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on both sides. Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- Combine apple juice, catsup, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard and basil; add to meat. Top meat with reserved cooked onions; cover and cook slowly 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice for bright color; add to meat. Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender. Place meat and potatoes on warm platter.
- Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley or garinish with apple rings and parsley, if desired. Serve gravy over sliced meat.