Top Review by Suzie
Made for Summer '09 Comfort Cafe and it made my house smell like November. I kid you not. This was absolutely the most delicious chuck roast I have ever had, and that includes my mother's!! I will NEVER cook a chuck/pot roast again without using this recipe. OUTSTANDING. I did use apple cider, although that was the only change. Thank you for this wonderful recipe Dancer!!
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, Sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 3 large sweet potatoes, pared and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lemon juice
- parsley, chopped
- apple, cut in rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onions in 1 Tbsp butter or shortening in Dutch oven until tender-crisp; set aside. Brown roast in remaining butter or shortening in Dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- Combine apple juice, catsup, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard and basil; add to meat. Top meat with reserved cooked onions; cover and cook slowly 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice for bright color; add to meat. Continue cooking, covere d, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Place meat and potatoes on warm platter.
- Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley or garnish with apple rings and parsley, if desired.
- Serve gravy over sliced meat. NOTE: After apple juice mixture is added to browned meat, it may be marinated in the refrigerator until 3 to 4 hours before serving time; turn meat several times.
- If Dutch oven is cast iron, transfer to a glass dish.
- GRAVY: Skim excess fat from cooking liquid; add water if needed to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Mix 1/2 cup water and 2 Tbsp Unbleached Flour; stir gradually into cooking liquid.
- Heat to boiling; cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Gravy may be served in Large Apple that has been scooped out, if desired.