Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From The Southern Living Cookbook. Very simple jelly, perfect for the beginner. Great for last minute gift baskets. Uses hot water bath canning.
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package dry pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- Combine apple juice and pectin in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and bring to a full, rolling boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove mixture from heat, and skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Quickly pour hot jelly into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
Found this to be too sugary sweet, not enough apple flavor. Set beautifully, but i'll keep looking for a stronger apple tasting jelly.
Wanted to add into this review that I've made this several times now with a couple of adaptions and it works well with them all. In one I added 1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeno's and 2 drops green food coloring to make a apple/pepper combo and in another added 6oz of red hot cinnamon candies to make a candy apple flavored jelly. Both turned out awesome. I'll add photos of each.
This is a great recipe, simple and easy to do. I used bottled unsweetened apple juice.