Recipe by Dib's
Here's a quick jam for using up all those fall apples. Great as gifts. Cooking time includes processing time.
Top Review by gburgard
I have made this recipe 2 times and it didn't set either time. Flavor was good and it taste great over a roast but I wouldn't recommend it as jam. Maybe my ratio is wrong - I made this based on a bottle of pectin being 6 oz, so the recipe would use a 3 oz pouch.
- 2 cups water
- 3 lbs tart apples, cored,peeled and chopped
- 7 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 bottle liquid pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender combine water and apples and puree.
- You will need to do this in batches.
- Measure 5 cups of the puree and pour into a large stainless or enamel pot.
- Add the sugar, spices and lemon juice.
- Place on high heat, stirring constantly until a full boil is reached.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in pectin, skim off foam and ladle into jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- Adjust times for higher levels.