Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in a box I purchased at an estate auction. We always jokingly called them "beyond the grave cookies" since we got it from the lady posthumously. I do not recall if it was printed or written on a card so I have no idea the origin of the recipie. The drops of rum definately enhance/change the flavor. I think they are better with the rum but they are good both ways.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apple, chopped unpeeled
- With blender mix sugar and shortening untill creamed.
- Beat in egg.
- Sift dry ingredients and add, beating till well blended.
- Stir in apples.
- Bake cookie sized balls on greased cookie sheet @ 375 12-15 minutes.
- As soon as they come out of the oven sprinkle each with 4-5 drops of rum.