Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I make these when we go camping. Very hearty and filling.
Top Review by concretegirl
My 19 year old son picked this recipe in his search for a healthy on-the-go breakfast. He really likes them. I did substitute a sweeter jonagold so I can slightly cut back on the honey. I also upped the apples to about 3 cups without a problem and subbed low fat milk for whole. I did put a really thin smear of almond butter on the tortilla before wrapping. I'm planning to double the batch next time and trying some with a brush of butter and baked till crispy. These are excellent reheated too. Thank you for adding another keeper to our recipe file :)
- 2 cups peeled cored and diced tart green apples
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- 2 10 inch whole wheat tortillas (I also have used apple cinnamon tortillas when I can get them)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients; toss to coat apples evenly.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the apple mixture; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add in the milk and stir to mix.
- Gradually stir in the oatmeal.
- Lower the heat and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed by the oatmeal.
- Remove skillet from the heat and add vanilla.
- Evenly spread the apple butter on the two tortillas, leaving a 1-inch border aroung the edge.
- Spoon the apple-oatmeal mixture onto the tortillas and roll-up/wrap.