3 hrs 30 mins
This apple and horseradish chutney, flavoured with smoked paprika, makes a seriously tasty relish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 1/4 lbs apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 1/2 ounces fresh horseradish
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika
- 4 1/2 ounces dark muscovado sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions
- 1In a small, heavy-based frying pan, dry-fry the coriander seeds, cinnamon stick and mustard seeds until fragrant, stirring often to prevent burning. Set aside the dry-fried spices. Once cooled crush roughly in a pestle and mortar.
- 2Put the apples, onions and garlic in a food processor. Process to about 1/4in chunks. Transfer the apple mixture to a large non-reactive saucepan.
- 3Place the horseradish in the food processor. Process to a fine paste. Add the horseradish to the apple mixture in the saucepan.
- 4Add the crushed spices, the sweet and hot smoked paprika, sugar and red wine vinegar and salt.
- 5Bring everything up to simmering point, stirring all the time. Once the mixture is simmering, reduce the heat and let it cook uncovered very gently for three and a half hours, until the mixture has thickened and all the liquid has evaporated
- 6Use a wooden spoon to make a trail across the top of the chutney. If the trail fills with juice then the chutney is not ready and needs simmering further. If the trail does not fill with juice then the chutney is ready.
- 7Spoon the hot chutney into four hot, clean jars. Cover the jars with waxed discs and set aside to cool, then cover and seal. Label and store in a cool dry place for up to six months.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple, Horseradish and Smoked Paprika Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (2294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 409.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 40.6 g
- Protein 2.3 g