Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of the Vendor/Growers, up in Apple Hill in Camino California, sells these pies for a pretty penny so when I found the recipe posted in the local paper years ago, I made sure it was added to my recipe file since my Sweet EddieBear always loved an apple pie. The recipe for Oatmeal Pie Crust is posted seperately.
- 1 oatmeal pie crust, Oatmeal Pie Crust
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 -6 cups apples, peeled and cored (Golden Delicious work great)
- Prepare crust recipe and chill for one hour.
- While crust is chilling bring apple juice, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch to a boil until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice and butter. Save a little sauce to brush top of baked pie.
- Toss with sliced apples, reserving tablespoon of sauce to brush on crust as pie comes from oven.
- Roll out bottom crust, leaving a 1 inch overhang.
- Fill pie.
- Roll out top crust and place on top.
- Trim to 1/2-inch overhang.
- Crimp together and flute edge.
- Remember, the more time you spend preparing the crust, the less spillage you are apt to have.
- Use a knife to cut slits in crust for air vents.
- Brush crust with milk; sprinkle with tablespoon of sugar and dash of cinnamon.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour, or until a knife can be inserted into pie smoothly.
- Brush with the tablespoon of reserved sauce.
I was really happy to find this recipe! It is so simple and easy to make. It is really delicious and my family loves it! Thank you for taking the time to post it!