Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the Vendor/Growers, up in Apple Hill in Camino California, sells these pies for a pretty penny so when I found the recipe posted in the local paper years ago, I made sure it was added to my recipe file since my Sweet EddieBear always loved an apple pie. The recipe for Oatmeal Pie Crust is posted seperately.
- Prepare crust recipe and chill for one hour.
- While crust is chilling bring apple juice, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch to a boil until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice and butter. Save a little sauce to brush top of baked pie.
- Toss with sliced apples, reserving tablespoon of sauce to brush on crust as pie comes from oven.
- Roll out bottom crust, leaving a 1 inch overhang.
- Fill pie.
- Roll out top crust and place on top.
- Trim to 1/2-inch overhang.
- Crimp together and flute edge.
- Remember, the more time you spend preparing the crust, the less spillage you are apt to have.
- Use a knife to cut slits in crust for air vents.
- Brush crust with milk; sprinkle with tablespoon of sugar and dash of cinnamon.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour, or until a knife can be inserted into pie smoothly.
- Brush with the tablespoon of reserved sauce.