Recipe by YummySmellsca
A spicy, slightly sweet and definitely nutty snack that's perfect for those with dairy, egg and gluten intolerances... as well as those who love them! If soy is a concern, hemp milk or almond milk (use unsweetened for best results) are great swaps too.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup millet flour
- 1⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (make sure it's GF)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 apple, with peel, coarsely grated
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped finely (not ground, though)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F, line 12 muffin cups with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and hot water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, starches, baking powder, baking soda, guar gum, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together brown sugar, oil, vanilla and rice vinegar.
- Add flaxseed mixture and blend in well.
- Add the dry mixture and stir in gently, then add the soy milk and stir just to combine all the ingredients.
- Fold in shredded apple and hazelnuts.
- Portion into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 35 minutes, until they test done.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.