Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious custardy bread pudding made with Hawaiian Sweet Bread - taken out of the Big Island's local electric company's cookbook.
- 1 (1 lb) Hawaiian sweet bread (round loaf)
- 1 (20 ounce) can apple pie filling (as can sizes are shrinking now, it may be less)
- 2 cups milk (even skim milk is okay)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 eggs, beaten
- cinnamon, to sprinkle
- Peel off brown crust from bread and cut bread into bite sized pieces and place into a 13x9x2 inch pan that has been sprayed/greased.
- Top bread cubes with apple pie filling.
- In medium sized pot scald milk; then stir in sugar and butter till it melts. Remove from heat and cool somewhat.
- Combine eggs with some of the milk mixture (tempering?) and then add all back to pot. Pour over bread and apple pie filling. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator. I much prefer mine chilled, as opposed to warm, but either way it's good!