Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I picked up this recipe in a bonus book from Taste of Home. Maxine Hearney posted the recipe and said it had been in her family for 75 years. It is really delicious served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups apples, peeled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs; press into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top of crumbs; sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar with the egg, evaporated milk, vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
- Spoon mixture over baked apples; bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares while warm.