I picked up this recipe in a bonus book from Taste of Home. Maxine Hearney posted the recipe and said it had been in her family for 75 years. It is really delicious served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups apples, peeled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1In a bowl, combine flour, salt and 1/3 cup sugar.
- 2Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs; press into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- 3Arrange apple slices on top of crumbs; sprinkle with lemon juice.
- 4Combine 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- 5Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar with the egg, evaporated milk, vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
- 7Spoon mixture over baked apples; bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 8Cut into squares while warm.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Harvest Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.3
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 22.7 mg
- Sodium 157.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g