Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love oatmeal! There is something about eating a warm bowl of oatmeal that makes my soul happy. Growing up, and well into my adult years oatmeal consisted of oatmeal, heaps of brown sugar and 2% milk. Nowadays, I prefer to spice up my oatmeal with healthier ingredients! My kids love this (without brown sugar!!) and we hope you will to. If you fancy a sweeter oatmeal, feel free to add your own sweetener or more maple syrup. APPLES: Use your favorite (I used Cameo and they were tart and sweet) RAISINS: If you don't like them, leave them out. FLAX SEEDS: You can use whole flax seeds or flaxmeal. The flax can also be stirred into the oatmeal before transferring it to a bowl. NUTS: If you don't like pecans (or nuts in general) leave them out. I added raw pecan halves to my dish. You could also stir the nuts into the oatmeal before transferring it to a bowl. SOY CREAMER: You could use cow milk, soy milk or your favorite nut milk. We use the Silk Soy Creamer (for coffee) since it's thicker and so delicious. SERVING SIZE: Makes 1 large portion or two smaller ones. We eat big servings so this recipe is my breakfast (sharing bites with my three year old daughter). Happy Eating!
- 1 apple, whole
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice, natural and unfiltered
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 pecan halves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon flax seed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 2 tablespoons soy coffee creamer (optional)
- Peel & chop the apple into bite-sized pieces. Place apple, apple juice, raisins and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Cover and simmer over medium heat while you prepare the oatmeal. Apples should be tender but firm.
- Place 1 cup of water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add oats (quick cooking is fine) and reduce heat to low. Simmer until oats are soft and there is still a small amount of liquid in the pot. You don't want to end up with an oatmeal puck! :).
- ASSEMBLY: Place chopped pecans and flax seeds in the bottom of a nice bowl. Add cooked oatmeal on top. Scoop apple/raisin mixture on top of oatmeal and pour any remaining liquid over top.
- Pour soy creamer (or milk etc.) into center of bowl & enjoy!
I know how good oatmeal is for you, but I usually don't like it. BUT this recipe has changed that! Reminds me of apple pie, but for breakfast. Used crushed pecans to top this. Made this for Fall PAC '08. Thanks for the healthy breakfast!
Very nice way to have breakfast! Used a Fuji apple this time around, then followed the recipe right on down, but didn't use the coffee creamer! More often than not, I now enjoy oatmeal without the addition of milk, as long as it's made without being GLOPY, if you know what I mean! This makes for a WONDERFUL morning meal! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]