Recipe by Monica Lin
I love when the apple harvest comes around in the fall--homemade apple pies, spice cakes, apple dumplings, applesauce cookies etc. The air gets cooler & the kitchens are filled with the earthy scents of fall baking--comfort food! This granola takes me back to that time--any time of the year.
- 12 cups rolled oats, grain mix
- 2 cups cracked wheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup golden flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 5 cups dried apples (chopped)
- 3 cups english walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 3 cups raisins
- 2 cups unsalted sunflower seeds (hulled)
- 1 cup all natural apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups all natural clover honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F You will need 4 glass baking dishes approximately 9x13-inches.
- In a very large metal roaster/pan, mix the first 9 ingredients together, making sure to coat all the fruit with the flour; set aside.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, combine the next 9 ingredients. Whisk until it is emulsified & cloudy in appearance.
- Pour all the wet mixture over the top of the dry ingredients. Mixing until all the dry is moistened, it will take about 10 minutes.
- Divide the granola into the 4 glass dishes, making sure not to put more than 1" thick into any one pan.
- Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes & rotating the dishes on the bottom rack with the ones on the top rack. Remove from oven & stir once more. Let cool completely in the Dishes. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place. Can be frozen up to 6 months easily, Just take out as needed.