Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
What a delicious, heart-healthy and seasonal breakfast treat that can be enjoyed all year long.
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup warm apple juice
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine oats, apple juice, and oil or applesauce in a small bowl; let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in egg whites and vanilla.
- Pour margarine in the bottom of a 9" round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar. Arrange apple slices spoke-like on top of brown sugar, working from center of pan to edge.
- Combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add oat mixture and stir just until moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate. Cut into wedges.