Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
A great grilled sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough bread (1/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄4 lb smoky ham, cut into 4 slices (Virginia country ham)
- 1 small green apple, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices (Granny Smith)
- 6 ounces medium cheddar or 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices on your working surface with the butter side down.
- Place a slice of ham on each bread slice (fold it to fit, if necessary).
- Top with 4-5 apple slices per sandwich, followed by cheese.
- Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top with buttered side up (can press sandwich down to compress the ingredients slightly).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; heat skillet for about 2 minutes.
- Put the sandwiches in the skillet (do this in batches if needed), cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Uncover, and turn the sandwiches with a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly.
- Cook 1 minute or until the underside is golden brown.
- Turn the sandwich again, press with spatula, and cook for 30 seconds, or until the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve immediately.