Recipe by love4culinary
This is another one of my creations. I love grilled cheese sandwichs and Im always trying to make new versions! I reallllllly liked this one! Please only use a tart apple like a granny smith; sweet apples may produce an undesireable result. I really loved this sandwich!!!
Top Review by bananabreadeater
This was great for a change to the regular grilled cheese sandwich. I however do not like American cheese at all so I took that out and put in provolone. It was great the granny smith apples really added to it.
- 1 tart granny smith apple (do not use a sweet apple)
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice deli cheddar cheese
- 1 slice deli American cheese
- 2 slices of fresh Italian bread, thin
- butter, to coat bread slices
Directions See How It's Made
- First core your apple, and cut it in half.
- Slice very thin slices from the end of one half, until you have enough to cover your bread (not overlapping. Now take your shallot, and shave paper thin slices, about 4 or 5- reserve rest of shallot for another use. Then take your garlic clove, and shave paper thin slices of garlic from the clove, about 4 or 5 slices, reserve rest of garlic for ).
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter and lightly fry the apple, shallot and garlic. Fry for about 2 minutes and then remove to a plate.
- Take one slice of bread, butter one side, and then salt it and place it in the pan, and continue by placing 1 slice of cheese on the bread, layer the apple slices evenly over the piece of bread and randomly place the garlic and shallot pieces, place other piece of cheese on top, and then take second piece of bread, butter and salt one side, and place it on top of the cheese slice, butter side up.
- Fry the sandwich over medium heat until browned on both sides, pressing down on the sandwich whiling cooking to slightly flatten it out; When browned nicely, cut in half and serve.