Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Better Homes and Gardens. Of course you can double for larger families, or multiple days of bread. I will be making a cookbook of recipes that use this dough. For whole wheat version, substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the stirred in all-purpose flour. For cheese version, stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese with the stirred-in flour.
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional) or 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 2 tablespoons frozen juice concentrate (apple, orange, or pineapple)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and, if desired, herb.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, margarine, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 to 130 F) and margarine almost melts.
- Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Divide dough into halves or quarters.
- To chill, cover portions and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Or, to freeze, wrap the portions in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use let dough stand at room temperature about 2 1/2 hours or till thawed. (Or, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.).
- To make glazed rolls, use 1/4 of the above recipe.
- For a glaze, in a small saucepan stir together 1 tablespoon sugar, cornstarch, and if desired, spice. Stir in juice concentrate and 1 tablespoon margarine or butter. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Cool.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, pulling edges under to make smooth tops. Place in a greased 7 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 2 - inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till nearly double (30 to 45 minutes).
- Bake rolls in a 375 oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden brown. (If necessary, cover with foil the last 5 minutes to prevent over-browning.) Remove rolls form the pan. Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack, brush rolls with half of the glaze. Cool 5 minutes more, brush with remaining glaze. Makes 6 rolls.