1/1 Photo of Apple-Glazed Roast Chicken and Rice
2 hrs 30 mins
The glimmering, crispy skin of this chicken dish gets its flavor from a sweet-tart blend of apple jelly and cider vinegar. Tip: To save time, cook the rice and chicken together in a casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid. That way the rice will remain moist as it bakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 5 lbs whole roasting chickens
- 6 small tart baking apples, cored
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- sage leaf (optional)
- 2In a 1-1/2- to 2-quart saucepan stir together vinegar and jelly.
- 3Heat; stir over medium heat.
- 4Bring to boiling.
- 5Boil glaze gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes until syrupy and reduced to about 1 cup, stirring frequently.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Stir in apple pie spice.
- 8Divide glaze in half; set aside. (Glaze will thicken as it stands; stir before brushing over chicken and apples.)
- 10Preheat oven to 325°F
- 11Skewer neck skin of chicken to back; tie legs to tail.
- 12Twist wing tips under back.
- 13Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in roasting pan.
- 14Sprinkle with salt.
- 15Roast, uncovered, 1-1/4 hours.
- 16Cut string.
- 17Place apples around chicken.
- 19Meanwhile, in 1-qt. casserole combine rice and seasoning mix, water, and butter; cover. Set aside.
- 20Brush chicken and apples with some of one portion of glaze.
- 21Sprinkle with pepper.
- 22Roast chicken and rice together in oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours more or until instant-read thermometer registers 180F when inserted into thickest part of the thigh and juices run clear, brushing with remainder of the glaze portion twice.
- 23Stir green onion into rice.
- 24Transfer rice to platter; top with chicken and apples.
- 25Cover with foil.
- 27Skim fat from juices in roasting pan; discard.
- 28Pour remaining glaze portion into the roasting pan.
- 29Using wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits stuck to bottom of pan (place pan on stove top over medium heat, if necessary, to heat glaze).
- 30Strain; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 31Transfer to gravy boat.
- 32Garnish with sage. Makes 6 servings.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Glazed Roast Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (587 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 782.0
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 183.3 mg
- Sodium 207.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 44.5 g
- Protein 42.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice
long grain and wild rice blend