Top Review by *Z*
I am rating this a 5 star even though I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I didn't put the saurkraut in with the pork b/c #1 I didn't have room-the pork was too big LOL and #2 I have a BIL that refuses to eat pork cooked with saurkraut. I also didn't have caraway seeds so I used fennel seeds instead. I didn't shred the carrots....well b/c I didn't want to. LOL! The apples and the carrots in the dish cooked up great and were delish! The only thing I might do differently is to peel the apples b/c some people didn't like the looks of the cooked apple skin and wouldn't eat it. Very easy just a bit time consuming but nothing too strenous.
- 4 -5 lbs pork sirloin roast
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apple juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, well-rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely shredded carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed, and salt.
- Stir in 11/2 cups apple juice and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened.
- Set aside.
- Place roast in oven-proof skillet.
- Insert meat thermometer.
- Roast at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Brush with 1/2 cup apple juice mixture.
- Roast 2 hours longer.
- Spoon combined sauerkraut, apples, carrot, and 1/2 cup remaining apple juice and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed around pork roast.
- Spoon remaining apple juice mixture over pork roast and sauerkraut; cover.
- Roast 30 to 60 minutes longer, or until meat thermometer registers 155 to 160 degrees.
- Let roast stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice to serve.