Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a large fluffy oven-baked pancake topped off with an apple-brown sugar topping :)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups granny smith apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- oil (for frying)
- 2 -3 tablespoons powdered sugar, for topping
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- In an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat melt the 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add in the chopped apples, saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the apple juice, water (can use 3/4 cup apple juice if desired) and the 1 tsp cornstarch; stir well until combined; add to skillet and bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring gently.
- Remove apple mixture from the skillet; set aside and keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet dry with a paper towel.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour and 1 cup milk, stir well with a whisk, add in the remaining 1 cup milk, vanilla, salt, sugar, 2 whole eggs, and the 2 egg whites; mix until smooth and combined; set aside.
- Remove the skillet from the oven (be careful it is HOT!) Coat the skillet with more oil; pour the flour/milk batter into the hot skillet.
- Bake at 425 defrees for 25 minutes, or until puffy, and brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into wedges; top with the reserved apple mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: The apple mixture may be doubled if desired.