Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Apples are nice whether dessert or an accompaniment to white meat. Serve this with steamed vegetables or roasted baby potatoes on the skin.
- 1 dessert apple, quartered
- 4 (1 3/4 lb) rock cornish hens
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, large finely grated
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- apple, slices to garnish
- lemon slice, to garnish
- 2 -3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- Place an apple quarter inside each hen, set the hens in a roasting pan, and make cuts in the flesh.
- Brush with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients, except the garnish, and pour over the hens.
- Roast the hens in a preheated 375F oven for 11/4 hours or until the juices run clear.
- Turn the hens 3-4 times during roasting, and baste well with the cooking juices. remove from pan and let stand, covered with foil, for 10 minutes.
- Skim off the excess fat from the cooking juices, place the pan on top of the stove, and boil, stirring, until slightly reduced.
- Arrange the hens on a warmed platter, garnish, and serve at once. Pass the cooking juices separately.