Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
This recipe is for 100 people. I am compiling some recipes for large groups. There always seems to be a request for that here at Zaar.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I scaled this down to 5 servings and made it in my slow-cooker. I added a little apple jelly and a tad bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce. It smelled wonderful and came out tender and juicy. I will make this again and also do the kettle/oven method when time permits. Thanx for the recipe!
- 45 lbs corned beef
- water, cold, enough to cover
- 4 1⁄2 quarts apple juice, canned
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place whole pieces of corned beef in steam-jacketed kettle or stock pot; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 5 hours.
- Internal temperature of corned beef should read 180 to 200 degrees F.
- During cooking period, remove scum that rises to the surface.
- Remove cooked corned beef from juice and place in roasting pans (18 by 24-inches).
- Combine apple juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard and brown sugar.
- Pour equal amounts over meat in roasting pans.
- Place in 350F oven and bake 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes.
- NOTE: 1. After 3 hours cooking, test each piece of meat with a fork to determine the tenderness.
- 2. Because the grain of brisket runs in many directions, turn the piece of meat while carving to insure cutting across the grain.