Recipe by MarieRynr
If you want a dessert to die for this is it. Nothing says comfort and home like this one does.
- 1⁄2 loaf gingerbread, diced into small cubes (see my gingerbread Gingerbread)
- 1 mcintosh apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and bean scraped
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the gingerbread into cubes. Place in a generously buttered 8 x 8 x 2" pan. Top with the apple and currants. Set aside.
- Scald the milk, cream, and vanilla bean. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the eggs, yolks, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Hand whip until mixed.
- Temper the egg mixture with the milk mixture (pour the hot milk mixture a little at a time into the egg mixture while whipping so as not to scramble the egg mixture). Strain through a sieve into your prepared pan.
- Press the gingerbread down to ensure complete coverage with the liquid. Let sit for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake in a water bath for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until done. Remove the foil during the last 20 minutes of baking to brown the top. Baking times may vary with your oven. Cut into squares and serve hot.
- Serves 6 to 9.