Apple Ginger Upside-Down Cake
- Onto an 8-inch round cake pan pour the butter, swirling the pan, and sprinkle it with brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of the ginger, and the currants.
- In a small bowl toss the apple slices with the lemon juice and arrange them evenly over the currants.
- Into another small bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and the cinnamon. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the eggs with the granulated sugar and the vanilla for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and pale and forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted.
- Fold in the flour mixture gently but thoroughly, pour the batter over the apple slices, and bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tester comes out clean.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto a serving plate, and serve it warm with the whipped cream, sprinkled with the additional ginger.