This is for DH. Hooray for fall.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Streusel
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 medium granny smith apples or 1 medium golden delicious apple, cored and chopped coarse
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
- 2For the streusel: Blend the brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, flour, and butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs.
- 3Mix in the walnuts and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4For the cake: Sift together the flour, ground ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the ginger and set aside.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugars, continuing to beat until very light.
- 6Add the vanilla and then the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next.
- 7Alternately stir in the flour mixture and the buttermilk, until he batter is just mixed. Don't overeat or your cake will be tough.
- 8Gently stir in the chopped apple.
- 9Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with a third of the streusel.
- 10Pour in the remaining batter and top with the remaining streusel. The streusel will sink in a little during baking to make a swirl.
- 11Bake until the top of the cake is firm (a skewer inserted in the center should come out clean), about 40 to 45 minutes.
- 12Cool for 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Invert the cake onto a serving platter, dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Ginger Streusel Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.7
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.9 mg
- Sodium 568.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 61.3 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: