Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use a firm eating apple for this recipe. Braeburn, Gala, Granny Smith and Haralson are all good choices. Soft or excessively juicy apples will add too much moisture.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray cooking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Cut in butter with a pasty blender or a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in apple and ginger.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Stir in cream and lemon peel.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Gently knead dough 5 or 6 times on a lightly floured surface.
- Place dough on the prepared cookie sheet pressing into an 8 inch round about 1 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 wedges seperating slightly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown and center is set.
- Glaze: Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice; blend well.
- Drizzle warm scones with glaze.
- Serve warm.
oh, this is good! Apple and ginger together, perfect. I made it as posted and it was lovely. Thank you!
I love scones and have tried a number of recipes, but these are the best so far. They have a wonderful crust that's rich and buttery, and the inside is tender and moist. I used Granny Smith apples and didn't change anything about the recipe. I stuck an apple slice in the top of each triangle before baking, and drizzled the cooled scones with a thin icing made from confectioners sugar and a bit of milk. They are absolutely "to die for".
Even though I didn't love the ginger as much as I thought I would at first, I do love these scones. I've never had a scone before and I expected them to be dry. These were nice and soft. I have made these again and again. Oh, and I use 1/2 whole wheat flour and the taste and texture is still wonderful. The only other thing I do is to spray and 8 inch cake pan and press the dough into the pan before turning it out onto the cookie sheet and cutting it into 8. I simply find that this is less of a mess and helps me to shape the scones a little more easily.