Use a firm eating apple for this recipe. Braeburn, Gala, Granny Smith and Haralson are all good choices. Soft or excessively juicy apples will add too much moisture.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray cooking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Cut in butter with a pasty blender or a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in apple and ginger.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Stir in cream and lemon peel.
- Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Gently knead dough 5 or 6 times on a lightly floured surface.
- Place dough on the prepared cookie sheet pressing into an 8 inch round about 1 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 wedges seperating slightly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown and center is set.
- Glaze: Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice; blend well.
- Drizzle warm scones with glaze.
- Serve warm.