Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 10 cups tart apples, diced
- 4 lemons, chopped,with peel
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups seedless raisins
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- You will need 6 one-pint jars and about 4 to 5 pounds of tart apples for this recipe.
- Prepare all ingredients before beginning.
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- Chop and remove seeds from lemons, but do not peel.
- Peel and chop onions.
- Peel and roughly chop garlic; do not mince.
- Peel and finely chop ginger root.
- Bring cider vinegar to a boil over low heat, using a large saucepan.
- Add apples and cook until the mixture returns to a simmer.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Spoon chutney into glass jars which have been washed in hot soapy water and rinsed with boiling water.
- Seal tightly.
- Cool and store in refrigerator.
very nice...a little bitter because of the lemon peel. i added a cinnamon stick and a couple of cloves to the mix. went wonderful with rotisserie chicken and roasted veggies. thanks!